Monday, July 6, 2009

Winds of change

Oh, how things have changed since the last time I blogged!!

A little catch-up:

*The kids and I finally moved from Fortuna to our new digs in Cottonwood. We moved in the weekend of June 13, so needless to say the time before and after that was complete madness. Packing up crap, moving crap, unloading crap, offing unwanted crap for free using Craigslist, etc. Our old house is undergoing an interior paint job and will have new carpeting installed before going back on the market shortly (was listed, but we decided to make the fixes it needed and will relist).

*I met my older half-sister for the first time. Ever. She wrote Dad (we share the same father) a letter a few weeks ago, sparking a chain of events that included their first meeting in 37 years (she's 39 now). I got to meet her and her family little more than a week ago, and had a great time! We are all planning to hike Lassen Peak in August. I have a pic of the three of us. I will share it soon.

*Kara completed her first session of swim lessons. Let me tell you, this girl is a fish! She loves the water and has NO FEAR!! She does not get that trait from me, as I am all about the fear, especially in water. But she is doing awesome, and started session two today. She's gonna be in the Olympics someday, I swear. Meanwhile, Matty and I started a Mommy and Me swim class today. OMG, he is sooooo not like Kara! Poor child cried and screamed the whole time. We did manage to talk him into blowing bubbles in the water (while sobbing with snot pouring down his face), but he was just not feeling it. My immediate goal with him is to get him to RELAX in the water a bit and not do the "I'm-gonna-drown-Mom-with-my-death-grip-around-her-neck-because-I-am-positive-she's-trying-to-kill-me-in-a-3-foot-deep-pool" thing.

*As for me, I haven't done any running since May. I have good intentions, but we've been spending so much time at the pool (and it has been HOT, except for today, which feels cold because it's in the mid-80s). I have been using the elliptical, but I know soon I will be seeking out a good run. And the neighborhood we live in is GREAT for running. It's a gated community with lots of flat roads, although there are no sidewalks. Soon, I promise!! Maybe I should find a race to start training for, but honestly, I just want my other house to sell first. Then I can stop stressing over that and move on to other things!

4 comments:

Caren said...

I'm glad to hear things are going to well for you in your new place. How exciting to meet a sister! That's awesome.

Alden used to cry and scream too but now he's doing so great and swims really well. It's so good that you're making Matty do it, even if he hates it, it's so important safety-wise.

TX Runner Mom said...

Glad your move went okay...moving is such a pain! We need to get the kiddos into swim lessons pronto!

Laurel said...

Wow. Looks like you have had a lot going on too. Congrats on the move. And meeting your half-sister. That's so cool!

Thanks for all the well wishes. My midwife actually thought at first I had a "vanishing twin" until they saw the ultrasound and found the bleed. It's so crazy how common that is.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. But so happy for you that Kara arrived safe and sound. It helps us a lot to hear other people's stories.

prashant said...

It's so good that you're making Matty do it, even if he hates it, it's so important safety-wise.

Work From Home