Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Best worst-case scenario

So I had to go to the local university today to conduct my experiment for my biology class semester project.

The experiment went great and I was able to reconnect with my college rowing coaches. It has been 10 years since I'd last seen them. They both gave me hugs.

I was walking back to my van, which was parallel parked at a meter (with time still on it). I couldn't see the front of my van, since it was parked facing downhill, and I was approaching from behind. Across the street, there were three cops milling about near two cop cars, along with one of those funny-looking meter reader cars. Great, I thought, they're busting some pot-smoking loser or something. This IS Humboldt County, after all.

I unlocked the doors, threw my bag in and started to put the key in the ignition. Just then, one of the cops hurried my way and motioned for me to roll down the window. I fumbled with the window button then opened the door instead.

Then he proceeds to tell me that a police officer hit my car! I got out and he pointed to the damage. Sure enough, there is a huge dent in my front fender and some additional metal "crinkling" elsewhere because of the impact. I immediately started crying, as if that was going to help me.

They thought I was in class and were going to leave a card and number for me to call them, but I happened to return early. I talked to the other officer and gave him my info. Then he told me that the parking officer (who is an actual police officer for the department) had been driving around looking at the meters when he got out for a second. The silly-looking clown car thing he was driving ended up rolling away and crashed into my fender. Of course the clown car, which had these huge metal bars all around the front, was not damaged.

The cop who hit me came over and said he felt awful. It's his first accident in 18 years on the job. Go figure. I told him he's lucky it didn't crash into the car of some steroid-fueled jock with anger management issues. He laughed, so his sense of humor was still intact.

The good thing is the city's insurance will pay for the damage so I can get it fixed. I am just happy (should I use this term?) that it was a cop and not some college frat-boy, who would likely flee in the BMW his parents bought him and leave me with a damaged car that my insurance would have to pay for. I've already talked with my insurance agency (took me FOREVER to get a real person, grrrr....) and they're going to contact the city's insurance company and call me tomorrow with an update.

Just thought I'd share my interesting morning.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

OHH, so sorry. Life and biology class is enough stress with out this. But, you are right to look on the bright side. Could be SO much worse. Hang in there.

J~Mom said...

Oh my goodness so sorry to hear that happened. You are right though, it is good that it was a policeman!

BTW, my class is an 8 week class so pretty much like summer school. I didn't even realize that when I signed up for it and that is one reason the work just blindsided me. The first day I looked at the syllabus I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I couldn't believe how much work had to be done on a weekly basis. But slowly I plowed through and now I am so happy it is going to be over and I will be done for the Holidays. :>)

David said...

You gotta keep those dudes names, so if you ever have a parking ticket or get pulled over, maybe they can help you out. I'm sure there is a limit on those things, like 10-15 years, but you never know what might happen in a few months. Glad it was such a relatively good ending to a bad situation.

Unknown said...

I would love for David to be right, but the cops are more likely to give you two tickets when they remember the amount of paperwork they had to do after the accident. Better to keep that one to yourself.

You are right, though. Better that it's on their insurance and not yours.

Laurel said...

Wow, you ARE having a crappy week aren't you?

I am so sorry! I hope things get back to normal for you soon. Keep your head up.