Monday, January 22, 2007

An unexpected run

I wasn't planning to run today. I was thinking tomorrow and Thursday would be the running days this week leading up to the race next weekend. But the weather was so gorgeous today that I couldn't pass it up!! And I am really loving running now, too, so I just couldn't resist a nice jog.

I took the kids to the park first. I loaded the jogging stroller in the back of the van (yes, I drive a minivan), figuring I would just leave from the park for my run. After Kara played on the swings a bit, I buckled her in the stroller and off we went. I jogged through the streets of downtown Fortuna, not a route I usually take since I live on the outskirts of town. It felt invigorating, though.

I wasn't planning on pushing myself at all on this run, but things just seemed to come naturally and it all felt really good. I had no idea how far I was planning to run, so I just picked a spot and turned around to head back. But instead of going straight back, I veered off onto more of the side streets and zig-zagged my way through the residential areas. It was nice. And fairly quiet, considering it was near the heart of town at 3:30 p.m.

I finally got back to the park and checked my chronometer: 23 minutes ,47 seconds. OK, not bad for a leisurely run, I thought. It was a shade under two miles total. Originally I had traced it through mapmyrun and it said it was 2.18 miles, but I didn't think that sounded correct (I know I am just not that fast!) so I took my car and traced the exact route. It said 1.9 miles. Oh well, at least I know I really DIDN'T push myself, which was exactly what I was hoping for. ;)

Today's stats:
distance: 1.9 miles
time: 23:47
pace: 12:31 minute/mile

1 comment:

J~Mom said...

Don't forget that you can add and subtract mileage just depending on which side of the street you are on. It's frustrating though to think you are running longer and it's shorter. When I was very first starting out I thought I ran a mile straight and came home to find it was only .8 or something. Big bummer!

You are going to do so awesome at your run!!! With easy runs at 12 min/mil I bet you come in under 30 minutes!!!!!!!!