Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Up before the roosters

I woke up at 6 a.m. today to get ready for my run. First let me say that 6 is really, really early for me. Apparently it's too early for the sun, as well. I ate breakfast, got dressed and sat around for 40 minutes, hoping the sun would start to rise. Nope.

So I grabbed a flashlight and headed out into the dark, misty air. I am not a fan of darkness (at least being out in it by myself), so I guess I was being brave. After about 1/2 mile I started feeling OK about being out so early. Just then I encountered another runner going the opposite direction. He was the only person out that time of the morning, but it was nice to know I wasn't alone.

It wasn't until the last 3/4 mile that I heard a rooster crow in a backyard of a home in the subdivision I was running in. It was now dawn and I was able to turn my flashlight off, but all I could think was how annoying it would be to live next to that guy with the crowing rooster.

The run itself was a bit slower than Saturday's, but that was mainly because it was so dark even with a flashlight and I didn't want to trip. The HM training program called for three miles today, but I ran 3.25 miles because I was too far from home at the end of three (I had to get back here quickly to get Kara up for school so Tim could take her).

I am planning to do my weekday runs early in the morning so I can have the rest of my day free. The nice thing is it's only 8:20 now and I am totally done working out for the day! And I feel *awake* for once!

Today's stats:
Run:
Distance: 3.25
Time: 36:10
Pace: 11:10 minute/mile

2 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

I can relate to the thoughts on the rooster. When I was doing the ATY over New Years, the neighbor had a rooster or two, and I was thinking the same thoughts.

Laurel said...

Morning workouts are the best...once you are out of bed :)