Sunday, June 10, 2007

First run outside in more than a week

I can't believe it had been more than a week since my last outdoor run. I was a bit nervous, as I have been getting used to the treadmill, but I think an outdoor run was just what I needed.

I decided to take a different route than normal. This route took me on Drake Hill Road, which went into a more rural area where the road does switchbacks down a hill. The downhill came about 1.25 miles into the run, which was good because much of the first mile was up an incline. It was great for my lungs, but kinda hard on my legs and joints.

Then I turned onto Eel River Road, where a local family has a strawberry farm. As I was running by, the wind kicked up and the stench of manure hit me full in the face. Ick. I ran a little further down the road, and the stink was replaced by the sweet smell of strawberries. Yum!!! I love strawberries, and theirs are really good (we bought some back around Mother's Day).

It had been a few weeks since I'd run farther than three miles. I could tell. It didn't feel overly difficult, but I could tell that I've been focusing more on speed than distance lately. I need to make more of an effort to do longer runs, I guess.

Despite that, I was a only a few seconds off my PR for four miles, so that made me happy. And I can tell that running faster is getting easier, at least for the first two miles or so.

Oh, and my friend Lisa has tagged me to post six weird facts about myself. I don't have time to type them out now, but I will try to come back tonight and respond to the challenge!


OK, I am sneaking back on to update with my six weird facts. :-)

1) I am very particular (or anal, as Tim says) about how the sheets are on the bed. I don't like them to be wrinkled because I don't like how it feels on my skin. And the top sheet has to be tucked in well at the bottom or I am not happy. This is something that I have always been anal about.

2) I really wanted to name our daughter Erin. I fell in love with that name after playing a video game on Tim's Sega Genesis system while in college (stop laughing). Even funnier, it was a video game called Super Baseball 2020, a baseball game in which humans play on teams with robots. One of the blonde girls was named Erin, and she was an awesome hitter!! But Tim vetoed the name, and the only name we could agree on was Kara.

3) I am really picky about eating leftovers. If I feel it's been in the fridge too long (like a couple days) I will not eat it. Also, the sight of old food makes me gag. I guess I have a weak stomach.

4) Pretty much the only way I can get a good night's sleep is if I wear earplugs. I am such a light sleeper, and any sound wakes me up.

5) I do not like spicy foods.

6) I love watching not-so-mainstream sports on TV. You know, like bowling and gymnastics. Today I watched the Prefontaine track and field competition taking place in Eugene, Ore. I just love that kind of stuff!! Plus, it got me motivated to run outdoors again. Of course, I also love watching football and basketball. The only sports I don't care to watch are golf and soccer.

That's all!!! I think I have to "tag" some other folks now. Hmmm, I think I choose Sonia, Jason, Arizona Chad and Laurel. Post your six weird facts about yourself!! :-)



Today's stats:

Run:
Distance: Four miles
Time: 45:58
Pace: 11:29 minute/mile

2 comments:

J~Mom said...

Nice job on the run! I have a segment on my bike ride that I pass stinky manure. Yuck!

I am totally with you on leftovers! They have 24 hours in the fridge and then they are done. Bleck!

Unknown said...

Seven weird facts about me?? I guess I will have to select from the much longer list. ;-)