Friday, March 28, 2008

Bet it's not like this in Arizona

My buddy Lisa said it was 93 degrees in Arizona the other day. That is dang hot. But honestly, I would have taken that weather over what I ran in today.

I'm going to try and change things up a bit. My weight loss is at a standstill, so I think I need to do some different workouts now that my body is used to my regular runs. I headed to the track this afternoon to do some intervals and speed work (don't laugh).

It rained all morning, so I waited until it seemed to die down. It was misting for the first half of my workout. At the start of the second half, the sky opened and it rained all sorts of ways on me. It came down sideways, with a gusting wind. It beat me in the face, soaked me to the bone and made me miserable. I thought about stopping before I finished, but since I was already there, I trudged along on the waterlogged track. Gee, wonder why no one else was out in that weather? Clearly I am crazy.

The plan was to run a mile to warm up, then do eight 200 meter intervals (one mile total) with 200 meters of walking in between, followed by another mile run to cool down. The only thing I changed was the cool-down run. I only did 1/2 mile, because by that point I was sooooo over it. My pants were stuck to my legs, my hair was soaked despite being under a hat and I won't even tell you how horrendous my midsection looked with my drenched shirt clinging to it. But the mile that consisted of the 200-meter "sprints" was the fastest mile I have run to date. I wish I could run that fast all the time, only without doing the walk breaks in between.

We're going to pick up the kids soon. I really did miss them, although I enjoyed sleeping in this morning. :-)

Today's stats:
Run w/intervals:

Warm-up mile: 11:03
8x200 meters (one mile): 8:17 (WOW!!!)
8x200 meters, walking
Cool-down 1/2 mile: 5:26 (10:57 mile pace)

Total: 2.5 miles of running, one mile of walking = 3.5 miles

3 comments:

Mary Gee said...

Nice job on the run! Wowee.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Way to go with the run...what a speedster you are becoming..Marcy needs to be looking over her shoulder...

J~Mom said...

Great job on your run!!