Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HM questions

I have been thinking about what I will need for my half marathon in May. So I am posing a question for you, my dear readers/bloggers/runners.

For those who have run/walked/crawled a HM, what did you take with you? Water? Electrolyte replacement? Fuel? What kind and how much? I have a fuel belt and plan to use it, but I am at a loss as to what I should take. I usually only take water and a Gu on my long runs, but I am up for suggestions!

For anyone wondering, we're still working on getting healthy in this house. Matty went back to the doctor today and has a deep bruise in his left foot, as well as a broken blood vessel in the same foot and a huge goose egg on the back of his head (he fell the other day). He also night have strep. We won't know the test results until Thursday.

Oh, and I did a short bike workout tonight. I was dog tired today, so I didn't feel like getting dressed for a run. I will do one tomorrow. Promise!

Today's stats:
Bike:
Distance: five miles
Time: Don't know or care

4 comments:

Wes said...

I wore a fuel belt and carried gu/sports beans. In truth, the fuel belt isn't entirely necessary if you are committed to drinking at every water stop. It's good to have something to eat a little later in your run, as you can start to feel tuckered out between miles 10-13. It's not necessary to eat every 30 minutes or so like you do for a marathon.

Poor Matty! Hope he feels better soon :-(

J~Mom said...

I usually take 1 GU for every 45 min of activity if it's going to be an hour plus. So for a half marathon I would have 3 in my pocket. I also take a half nuun tablet to drink at about the half way point. I don't wear my fuel belt as I like to take advantage of the water that is provided. HTH!

Running Jen said...

I am strange, and will tell you not to follow my advice, but here's what I do.

I take nothing with me at all. Never did GU or anything like that. I just stopped at a couple of the water stations during the race. I guess it worked for me, I ran the entire thing in 2:11 without stopping to walk, and I felt pretty good.

So yeah, what I do probably isn't the healthiest thing, it just works for me. But, I'm the weirdo who will go out for an 8 mile run with no water beforehand or anything.

Mendy said...

Personally, I don't carry a fuel belt. For the last half I did, I bought some race ready shorts and put sports beans or shot blocks in there to take every 30-45 min. They usually have plenty of water stops (with gatorade or accelerade) along the way that you wouldn't need a fuel belt for.