Saturday, April 5, 2008

My run didn't turn out like I thought it would

It actually turned out BETTER than I thought!

Today was supposed to be eight miles. The weather is OK (slightly overcast) and pretty warm for this area. I got up at 8:30 to get ready, since I knew I would need to eat before I left. There's no way I could tackle a long run without eating something!

So I had a bowl of raisin bran-type cereal and some water. Packed up my fuel belt. Surfed the Internet for a few minutes while I digested. Hit the bathroom and read the newspaper. Got dressed. Finally, at 10 a.m., I was ready to go. Yeah, I'm slow like that.

I am trying (*trying* being the key word) to run slower and pace myself so I can run the entire HM distance. If I have to walk at some point, so be it, but I would like to minimize my walking time, since I don't take walk breaks during my regular runs. It was a pretty good run, although I started bonking around 6.5 miles. I did take a GU at 5.5 miles, but I don't think I ate enough this morning and I started to feel it. But I pushed on through and around 7.5 miles I started getting my second wind.

By the time I hit eight miles, I realized I was still 1.5 miles from home. Why am I so bad at planning out my runs? Well, there's only one thing to do: keep running. So I ended up running 9.05 miles (walked the last .50 as my cool-down) and everything was kosher.

So yay for me!

Today's stats:
Run:
Distance: 9.05 miles (farthest to date!)
Time: 1:42:06 (cool! A PR!! My old PR for 9 miles was 1:43 even back in February)
Pace: 11:17 minute/mile

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Great job this morning! I am very confident that you won'T have to walk to finish your first half. In fact I am sure you're going to have a kick-ass time! =) You,re doing really well!!

Running Jen said...

Great job!! You are well on your way to doing great in your HM. It sounds like you may not even have to walk at all during the race, but obviously, if you do have to, no big deal