Sunday, June 8, 2008

Curse of the allergies

Man, I have been suffering lately.

My allergies are in full-swing, and it has been a while since they've been *this* bad.

After my race yesterday, I spent hours with itchy and watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing fits and that overall feeling of crap (and a general hatred toward all flora).

And I know what you're thinking. Why on earth was I posing next to a ginormous bouquet of fragrant (chokingly fragrant) flowers just after the race yesterday? Well, Tim's sweet Grandma Betty gave Kara and myself those flowers, which she was selling at the farmer's market. I gladly accepted them (still riding a post-race high, which impaired my reasoning), not thinking they would be the WORST thing to be around with these allergies of mine.

Trust me, those pretty little flowers kicked my allergic ass on the way home. They've been banned from the house now.

It seems the only thing that really helps is Benadryl, but it makes me so freakin' tired and sluggish. I take it at bedtime, and it works like a charm (read: it knocks me out). I can't spend every day in that allergy drug fog, although sometimes it doesn't sound too bad (kidding, Dad!).

I bought some Sudafed today, and it did an OK job with my symptoms. And I do appreciate the non-drowsy formula.

So it looks like a continual stream of antihistamines and decongestants will have course through my veins until all the plants that I am allergic to (like, every plant known to man) are done reproducing for the season.

Now off to take my Benadryl. My poor eyes are starting to itch and weep again. *sigh*

Today's stats:
Elliptical:
Time: 30 minutes

3 comments:

Erin Leigh said...

The same thing happens to me. I love flowers and when I get them I get so freaking sick. I am doing either clarinex or allegra now (prescriptions) and they are getting me through. I would never be able to workout after benedryl. It turns me into a zombie!!

Hope you are feeling better today!

J~Mom said...

Congrats on your two mile race!!! Hope your allergies are better soon!

Naomi said...

have you tried zyrtec? that's what gray is on to avoid the tired-ness.
congrats onteh race!!!