Thursday, June 5, 2008

Gobbledygook

I have a bunch of random thoughts swirling around in this brain of mine tonight.

1) I have a race on Saturday and am quite excited about it. I am hoping to PR at the two-mile distance (not that far, I know) and I will be striving to win first in my age division like I did last year. So let's hope the fast women my age are doing the five-miler (please, pretty please).

2) Join me in giving lots of GOOD LUCK vibes to my sister-in-law Becky, who is doing her first tri this weekend. It's the Danskin Women's Triathlon in Austin, TX. I know she will do a bang-up job!! Now this leads me to...

2.5) Am I the only one here who isn't really thinking about doing a tri? It seems so many of my fellow runners have transitioned to tris recently. I have entertained the thought once or twice, then I remembered the deal breaker: it involves swimming. For those of you who don't know, I have a water phobia and don't like to be water it if I can't touch the bottom and have my head above the surface. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety. I was the ONLY rower on the team in college who didn't know how to swim, but I was allowed to stay because they didn't realize that until my varsity year and I was a fast rower (MUCH faster than I am as a runner!!). And I did take a few swim lessons in college (after my lack of water savvy was "discovered"), but that didn't help ease my fear. So unless triathlons change format and nix the swimming part, I don't think I will be doing one anytime soon.

3) I want to go back to Disneyland already. It was such a blast and went by too quickly. Sometimes I think it would be neat to live near Disneyland and get a season pass so we could go whenever we wanted. Of course, my lungs would suffer thanks to the stellar air quality down there. And Anaheim water tastes like ass.

4) I want to clarify one thing about the birthday party Kara and I went to last Sunday. Even though it was on the early side, we still had a good time and it was worth it. For some reason it never crossed my mind that my friend might actually READ this blog (don't know if she did or not), but I don't want her to get the idea that I wasn't glad she invited us. Her twin girls who had the party are two of the most awesome eight-year-olds I know, and I would feel crappy if me griping about something so insignificant got back to them or her. Love you guys! :-)

5) The cost of gasoline here makes me want to barf. Seriously, almost all the stations in our town is selling the cheapest grade for $4.57-$4.59 a gallon. Oops, threw up in my mouth a little. It wouldn't be so bad if we lived in an area where there were lots of options in regards to mass transit, but we don't. So depressing.

Today's stats:

Bike:
Distance: 5.47 miles
Time: 20 minutes

followed by a run:
Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 34:15
Pace: 11:04 minute/mile

3 comments:

Erin Leigh said...

Ooh that would be great to win in your age bracket and to beat your PR.

Awesome about your SIL.

I'm still not sure on the tri thing. I guess only time will tell for me.

I think your brain is used to having homework ;)

Running Jen said...

My fingers are crossed for you, I hope you win your age division and I hope you get that PR!

You are not the only one, I honestly have little interest in doing a Tri. I admire those who do it, and a friend of mine just did her first one and loved it. But, I don't like swimming. The running and biking I can handle, but the thought of swimming in a lake, around so many people, etc., is not desirable to me at all. Part of me wishes I could get into it, but I doubt I ever will.

I also have no desire to ever run a marathon, and I feel like I'm the only runner around who does not have that as a goal. But, the half distance is just perfect for me as a big race, and at this point, I just don't want to train for a full

Caren said...

I have little interest in running, let alone doing a tri! ha ha ha ha! I do it, just not very faithfully and I think slug could run faster than I do.

Anyway...I hear you on the gas prices, it sickens me too. I think it's a conspiracy of some sort. I won't get into that here though. ha!

I'm enjoying your blog Michelle! Thanks for sharing with all of us.