Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Am I being too conservative?

Maybe I am, because I opted to not run today. Instead I did a longer bike ride. I am so anxious about having "fresh" legs for Sunday's race that I am now planning to take a break from running until race day. Fellow runners, do you think that is too conservative? The last thing I want to do is show up at the starting line with legs that ache and are tired, you know??

Anyway, I did have a nice indoor bike ride (LOL!). I worked up a sweat but didn't feel exhausted after.

I am four days from race day now and I'm getting scared! This is the biggest race I've run in to date (as far as number of runners and prestige) and it's a little intimidating. To date, there are 329 signed up for the 10K, 999 for the HM and 370-ish for the marathon. This race, the Avenue of the Giants, is a qualifier for the Boston Marathon. Of course, you have to run the marathon to qualify, but still. That's a big deal just to be on the same race course with some quality runners. I know I will do the best I can and I have trained for months now, and I know many people will be slower than myself (based on last year's times, that is), but I still can't help but feel a little nervous. I'm hoping all those nerves will translate over to energy on race day. :-)


Today's stats:
Bike ride:
Time: 40 minutes
Distance: 10.9 miles
Pace: 3:40 minute/mile

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You're going to do great! I always get those pre-race jitters, too - even for 5Ks.

Can't wait to hear a full report : )

Nikki said...

Well getting out on the bike is great too! BTN :)

Good luck on your race day!! Can't wait to here the race report!

Jason The Running Man said...

For a 10k and below if my race is on Saturday I will run right up to that Wednesday just a nice easy paced short run, cross train on Thursday, and rest on Friday. But you also have to do what you feel is right for you! Everyone is a little different. I know you'll do great! Your gonna smack that 10k course around like you own it!:)

J~Mom said...

You are so going to rock it!!! Don't get nervous now!!!!!! I just try to run easy the whole week before, like 2-3 mile easy runs.

Marcy said...

Ohhhh Michelle you're going to do WONDERFUL!!!!! You KNOW you can run 6 mi, you've done it already!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!