Saturday, May 26, 2007

Six months

It has been six months since I started running.

I can't remember the exact day (bad Michelle!), but I know I started running not quite two weeks after I had my gall bladder removed, and that surgery was on Nov. 15.
And I know I started running before Dec. 1. So I figure I can celebrate it today, even though the actual six month date might be tomorrow or the 28th. Or possibly the 29th, for that matter.

I still can't believe how far I've come since I took those first slow, plodding steps. When I started, I was so out of shape that I couldn't run (make that slow jog,really) 90 seconds without getting winded. And I had to go running at night, when it was cold and dark, those first few weeks before I got the double jogging stroller. And back then, I couldn't have fathomed running sub-12-minute miles. I was happy to get my pace under 13 minute miles. Plus, I was carrying quite a bit more weight on me at the time. That is one thing I definitely do not miss!!

I'm hoping to keep improving on my speed, endurace and race pace during the next six months. And I'd like to lose another 20 pounds, which would put me back down to my race weight when I was on the rowing team. I think I would be happy with that, but if I lost five or 10 more pounds on top of that, I wouldn't complain. *wink*


Today's stats:

Bike:
Time: 20 minutes
Distance: 5.13 miles

Run:
Distance: three miles
Time: 34:54
Pace: 11:38 minute/mile

6 comments:

Phil said...

As your running continues to improve, the weight will come off. You are doing great and have come a long way in the past 6 months. The next 6 will be even better.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Michelle, Phil encouraged me in the same way and deep down I know he is right, and as you have stated...it is a slow process...but with consistency and resolve it will keep improving and the weight will keep coming off. I have to keep telling myself that over and over again...and focus very intently on what I eat...that it is the best of fuels that will help me get back to losing again...some of my recent food choices haven't been the best for weight loss...so I'm working on journalling my food intake again...as I'm supposed to do with WW...
Your times look very good and it's good that you are mixing the running up with the bike work....go get 'em girl.

Marcy said...

ITA with Phil!! You're doing great and the next 6 months WILL be even better!! You just keep plugging along and you'll be where you want to be in no time!!

Sonia said...

Happy 6 mths!! =)

Sometimes the weight comes off slower but your body get sculpt every run!! I'm sure those pants feel nicer even though you're at the same weight!

Keep it up

J~Mom said...

WOOHOO!! I am so glad that you joined me on this journey! It's been so fun to compare notes and running "goodies"! I can't wait to see what the next six months brings! You go girl you are on fire!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome job! You really have come a long way in a short time. Keep it up and enjoy the ride. More than the scale, it's the way it makes you feel that really makes it all worth it.