Friday, May 4, 2007

Thanks for your input!

A big thanks to everyone for your input on my last post. I guess I will find out on Sunday if resting was the right thing to do this week, but I think it was because it gave my back (pinched nerve) a while to feel better and I think I needed that.

I'm going to pick up my race packet tomorrow. The packet pick-up is at the race course, so I plan to drive it and see what I'm up against. I've heard it's relatively flat, so that is comforting. I bet I'll have a great time and all these nerves will be for naught. But I think some of my anxiousness comes from how early I have to be there. They say to arrive between 6 and 7 a.m. to get a parking spot. And it's a 30-minute drive from here. As many of you know, I am not a morning person. But when it comes to something I want to do, a little thing like getting up early will not stop me. Although I honestly don't know how I ever survived two years of 5:30 a.m. rowing workouts when I was in college. I must have been nuts!

I have to admit I am very excited about getting a medal at the end of this race. I am a dork! LOL! All the finishers in all three races will get one, and it will be nice to have a new trinket to add to my running collection. :-)

Oh, and Sunday evening Tim, the kids and I might try out this new Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet that just opened in town a couple weeks ago. It will be nice to pig out after burning all those calories in the race. And it will be nice to go out with the fam and celebrate this accomplishment.

Next week I'll be taking it easy again, just doing some short runs and possibly a little track work with Tim. I hope the weather is nicer next week than it was this week. It rained quite a bit this week. We need the rain, but it does put a damper (no pun intended) on my desire to be outdoors. I guess I am just not that fond of running in the stuff.

Oh, coming back to add this:
My time goal for Sunday's race is 1 hour, 15 minutes. That is a 12:04 minute/mile pace. I know I can do that. It would be even cooler to get the pace under 12 minutes for the whole race, but even if I don't, I will still be happy to finish.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm getting excited for you!!! Good luck!

Phil said...

Best of luck this weekend. The first 10K is always a great race that you'll never forget and your PR in this race will be the bench mark that you'll beat over and over in future races.

Sonia said...

Medals are the best!! =) I got my first one at the marathon, all the other races I'd done had no medals! (Even my first half!)

Good luck this week-end and have fun!!

Mary Christine said...

Have a great race! Can't wait to hear about it.

J~Mom said...

I am so excited for you!!!!!! GLGLGLGLGL!!!!!!!!!

Mary Gee said...

Hope you had a great run.
http://middle-agedfitness.blogspot.com/