Monday, May 14, 2007

Looks like the half marathon will have to wait

I am a bit bummed to write this, but the half marathon I planned to run in October will have to wait.

Tim and I are going on vacation that week, and are leaving town the day before the race. We will be visiting my parents and then flying to Austin, TX for a few days to visit Becky and her husband, John.

I am just glad now that I hadn't officially signed up or paid for that race yet. I am looking at possibly doing a 5K in Sacramento on Oct. 21 instead, since we'll be down there then.

But I swear I will do a half marathon eventually. I might have to wait until next May to do it, though, since there are so few races here. Oh well.....

Coming back to add that I am so, so, so excited to be taking a vacation then. I've only visited Becky in Austin once since she moved there (almost four years ago), so I am really looking forward to it! I know there will be other races I can do in the future, but I might not get many more chances to visit her in Austin once she's done getting her Ph.D. So this is one time where I don't really mind missing a race. ;-)

**UPDATE**

Just updating with my running stats for the day. :-)

Today's stats:
Distance: three miles
Time: 35:11
Pace: 11:43 minute/mile

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you had to change your race plans. At least you hadn't registered. I'm surprised there are that few races there. There seems like there is a half here every other weekend. Maybe you can find a half to do in TX while you are there...

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Where is "here" Michelle?

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

There is a marathon in Marathon, TX but I can tell you that isn't anywhere near Austin. It is out in West Texas, several hundred miles away.

Marcy said...

Bummer!!! Is there another one that maybe you could do later? I don't know how it is around where you live. We only have 2 HM's here and 1 Full (that I've seen on Active.com). Totally stinky

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Michelle, how far is Sacramento...I see you mention it...there is a marathon there on 10/7

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Susanville has a marathon that same weekend 10/7.

Michelle said...

Randy, it's about a six-hour drive from here to Sacto. I will be down in that area from Oct. 20-24, but not before then, unfortunately. :-(

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Sigh....well we tried...

Wes said...

Plans are made to be adjusted, not adhered to religiously :-) You'll find your half, and you'll be great at it!

Nikki said...

You had good intentions Michelle! You deserve a little holiday with DH :)

I know you'll get one in.

We dont have much here as well. I just heard a 1/2 on the radio is next month but there is NO WAY I will be ready. I'm shooting for the one next year!

J~Mom said...

Well you just have to come to Phoenix for PFChang's in January then. :>)

Phil said...

There always another race. Good luck finding your first half marathon.

Jason The Running Man said...

You'll do your half. Everything happens for reason. Glad you didn't pay already! Have fun in TX!

Michelle said...

Sorry you have to change your plans - I know how that feels; I'm so bummed I had to give up on my half. Hopefully you can find another one that will fit nicely into your schedule. And yes, it's good you hadn't registered and paid for it!

Sonia said...

There will always be other races! That's for sure!! =) Hope you'll have a fun vacation!

Becky said...

Too bad you're leaving Sunday. There is a marathon in Waco that day. I guess you'll just have to settle for hanging out with me