Sunday, July 6, 2008

Races coming out of the woodwork

I was just perusing the Six Rivers Running Club site tonight and noticed there are several new races around this area this summer. I already have signed up for the second annual Tim Brownlow run on July 20. I did this one last year and it was a lot of fun. This year, they have reserved a space so race participants can stay and watch the Humboldt Crabs, our very own semi-professional baseball team, play a game. That should be fun, since I've never watched a Crabs game before. I hear the fans are loud and boisterous. ;-)

Many of the races are just too far away for me to drive, with gas prices all out of whack here. There was one in McKinleyville that I had planned on running this month, but I've scrapped that idea (it's about a 45-minute drive one-way). But now there's a new race in Loleta, just a couple miles up the road, that I am thinking about. It's the Swauger Station Days Jim Davy Memorial Run/Walk on July 13, and it has both a 2.2 and 7.2 mile distance. I am thinking about tackling the 7.2-miler, as I need to do a longer race again in preparation for my HM in October. But I know absolutely nothing about it, since it wasn't on the race schedule last year. I wonder if no one else knows about it, and I am the only one who shows up, would I automatically get first place? LOL, that would be nice.

So I guess I will put it on the calendar and look into it. If I do it, that means I'll have a race on July 13, July 20 (a 5K) and August 2 (either a 2 or 7 mile race). Is that too many races in too short a time frame? Of course, I would be treating them more like training runs, not full-out races.

OK, off to bed. I have school in the morning.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Races in your neck of the woods always have weird distances!! 2.2 and 7.2?!

J~Mom said...

I would just be careful of the two races that are a week apart...pick one as an A and one as a B and you should be fine!! Have fun racing!